Saturday, August 16, 2008

Watch. Read. Listen.

In every issue of Eliza there is a page titled "Something Old.... Something New". On this page are two movies, two books, and two albums: one old and one new. It's one of my favorite things about this magazine. I thought it would be cool to do something similar every month or so that would talk about what I've been whatching reading and listening to, so here's take one.


Watch.














Mom and I have been spending our summer watching lots and lots of Jane Austen. But we also had our share of Shakespeare this summer. My favorite movie adaptation of a Shakespeare play has to be Much Ado About Nothing directed by Kenneth Branagh (who I absolutely LOVE as Benedick). Denzel Washington (Don Pedro) and Emma Thompson (Beatrice) also do a fabulous job in this movie. Patrick Doyle does the soundtrack in this film as well as in Sense and Sensibility, Nanny McPhee, and Harry Potter, all of which have soundtracks that I love.

Read.


















At Lindale High School, if you take an AP English class you are given an assignment to complete over the summer break. It's only expected that it's put off until the last week of the break. For English 4 the assignment was to read Pride and Prejudice and another novel of academic merit or by a notable author. My choice for the second novel? The Count of Monte Cristo. The movie was good and Dad says it's Pride and Prejudice for men, so why not? I'm almost done and I think it's fantastic. As usual it's even better than the movie!

Listen.
















I've always liked how in Adam Sandler's movies he has a soundtrack with hits from the 80's. I think it adds a personal touch that I really like. In 50 First Dates I thought it was so cool that he found a bunch of island-themed versions of the same songs. I've been listening to the soundtrack a lot this month, probably because I really want to go back to the beach. My favorites are Melt With You by Jason Mraz and Lips Like Sugar by Mikey Dread and Seal.

2 comments:

Megan said...

Robin, I love the blog, and I like to hear what is going on in your life. We all miss you and wish you a happy senior year.

P.S. Jared told me that he misses you, especially how you protected him. He is forever grateful!

Love you!

Sinclair-Hall's said...

I love your blog. It is really fun to see what is going on with you. Much Ado about Nothing is one of my fav Shakespeare plays. I Can't believe you are a senior in High School I feel real old now.
love ya