Sunday, September 7, 2008

What I've Learned After Three Weeks of Being a Senior


My schedule:

1- AP Calculus
2- AP English 4
3A- TJC Government/Economics
3B- Psychology/ Sociology
4A- Computer Multimedia
4B- Counselor Assistant
5- Creative Writing/ Media Analysis
6- Oral Interpretations


1. Block schedule is confusing. This is the first time I've ever had anything other than your standard 7 periods, each 50 minutes long. I don't know what the point of this "revised block scheduling" is, but it's purpose seemed to be for the first week was just to make sure that I had to ask everyone, "is it A day or B day?" I think I have the hang of it now.


2. Psychology is a blow-off class. I was so worried when my principal called me during summer break to tell me that the classes I requested wouldn't work with our block scheduling, and that I would be taking Psychology this year. As it turns out, I have absolutely nothing to worry about- except I have it for 90 minutes every other day, and I may die of boredom. The other day we all took turns reading a paragraph until we had read the whole chapter. Psychology= Health (in disguise).

3. Creative Writing is NOT a blow-off class. Every Senior in the class of 08 recommended this class to anyone looking for a coaster. Of course that was when the young and oh so blonde English teacher taught the class. Now the old lady married to the evil World History teacher teaches the class. It's not that I don't like her, it's just that she expects us to actually work. I didn't see that coming.

4. I learned how to fax papers! One of the counselors finally decided to use me and asked me if I could fax some papers for her. I told her that I couldn't, but that she could teach me if she would like. She did. It took her about five tries though. I noticed the second time that she was skipping a step, but I didn't know if she would be offended if I pointed this out. The point is, is that now I know how to do something useful for the counselors. I don't know how long this will last though. Apparently they're supposed to do everything on the computer now. I sat there and listened to the head counselor gripe that, in the time it took her to send one file through the computer system, she could have faxed twelve of them! Maybe I can teach them how to use this new-fangled technology.

All in all though, I think I'll really enjoy my senior year. I don't have any teachers that I hate (yet), and I could use some easy classes that, even though they're boring, give me a break during the day. Nine months until graduation!

2 comments:

Bundy 6 Pak said...

If you think block is confusing you should listen to the girls in the ward here. They switched to the college system, i guess to prepare the kids for the transition. The high school goes from 6am to 6pm and you schedule your classes like you would in college. Some kids have a 2 hour break in the day, but are in school until 6pm. Some kids don't have any classes on one day, but have a day of 6am to 6pm. It's crazy and the kids are not liking it.

Robin said...

Dude! See I would love that at this point, but those poor freshman... that sucks.